Friday, January 21, 2011

Decisions...Decisions...


I am the worst about updating the blog but since I haven’t had a very exciting past week, I figure it is for the best.  This maybe a weird topic to blog about but its whats going on in our lives.

This past week we’ve been kicking (and screaming ;) around the idea of an alternative way of schooling the boys.  I’m not saying public school doesn’t have its positives or great teachers…it is more like the red tape, lacking of parenting some kids have, and the budget cuts that are killing our school system.  It seems like public schools are way different than when we were there 10 years ago.  There seems to be a lot of positives about alternative schooling (such as a charter, private, or home schooling) but one major worry we have is socialization…and yet that is one major concern too.  I realize I’m biased to small towns since I was raised in one but it seems like the teachers weren’t as restricted with discipline and honesty as a lot of the teachers in more populated ones are.  I don’t believe in hover style parenting or sugar coating life…I believe self esteem is built through doing a good job and praise (maybe an encouraging “You’ll do better next time” too)…not about a “Yea! Everyone participated!” outlook.    Score should be kept at ballgames and I think kids should learn that practicing and giving it their best is the way to win…  Not all schools and definitely not all parents have adapted this thought process of sugar coating for their kids but it seems to be a growing politically correct world where they do.  In researching alternatives I’ve seen some different thoughts on the public school system and I feel like they make good points.  I worry about Aiden getting bored in school since he seems to be a quick learner…not all students learn at the same level/speed and while students shouldn’t be “left behind” what happens to those who are ahead of the curve?  I’ve spoken with a Mom in the area with an accelerated learner and she said they don’t offer AP classes…just assign them more homework.  So..hmm…is that a reward or punishment? I remember feeling like doing 10 worksheets a day over the same thing was so futile…was I actually contributing anything with these worksheets? This isn’t real life to me either and not all kids learn the same way.  Public schools are not about supervised socialization, so most students are learning their social skills and what is morally acceptable from their peers unsupervised…watch the news and see all the studies (and stories) on bullying and recently the school where 90 girls were pregnant or had babies this year.  One article I read I thought made a good point about how school creates an unrealistic pecking order and social status…some of the bottom feeding “nerds” of public schools go on to build their own Fortune 500 companies (you can't tell me Bill Gates didn't get bullied)…the jocks might get the shock of a lifetime at college when they realize they're just like everyone else, etc.  Another point was that the school setting isn’t realistic…while teachers do apply lessons to real life they can’t always go out and live it.  Alternative schools offer students real life lessons in places of business, now math isn’t just a worksheet and test on interest rates…it is going to the bank and discussing variable vs. fixed rates with a loan officer.    Of course there are drawbacks to alternative schools…socialization I mentioned before can be handled with extracurricular activities, charter schools, and other groups like Boy Scouts, 4-H, etc. But there is also the time and cost that is involved.  I see home schooling as a great alternative but part of me fears I'll be sending a shy awkward eighteen year old into a scary world. (Although studies show homeschoolers to be more well balanced and less peer dependent.)  So is this me just fighting society’s view of alternative schooling or my own fear of this responsibility? Decisions…decisions…
Now, I’m asking for opinions and experience from you guys…do you have any experience with alternative schooling? Is public school meeting your kid’s needs, academically and otherwise?  Anyone ever consider some other path than public school?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that a lot of it depends on the school options where you live. At our good old stomping ground, not everyone got a "winner" sticker. And that is a good thing! How are you supposed to encourage each student's individual strengths if you are telling every kid they are good at everything? Let's face it, not everyone is good at everything. That's how the natural progression of following your interests and excelling at them works.
    When you make the decision about where your child will attend school, investigate all options. I would encourage you to actually spend some time in the classroom, tour the school, ask for details, experience-based learning opportunities, & discipline plans, ask the administration when "enough is enough" for removal of problem students (secondary school), etc... A school that will recognize your child as an individual person with individual needs will (more than likely) be open to sharing all of this information.
    Just some thoughts from an educator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting great feedback, so thank you. If you don't feel comfortable leaving feedback here just email me. This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I haven't checked into the DOD schools on post but know they are pretty tough about getting parents involved if a student is acting out...the chain of command is involved if the parents don't address the situation. I know I wouldn't be thinking of another route if I felt more comfortable with the community but I get concerned hearing some of the stories (13 yr olds pregnant?), etc. I'm just not sure students can learn with all the drama surrounding them. Maybe in a different area I wouldn't even be having this conversation. Thanks for the great suggestion on how to investigate the schools/teachers. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete