Friday, January 28, 2011

Neurotic Sick Days: Reusable Bags

We're all sick and it sucks, but I decided to at least make good use of the down time.  Being neurotic a project was in order.  After running around to the doctors this morning we swung by the thrift store to snag some sheets.  Sounds weird right?  You betcha...I got two king sized shams and a flat sheet that sort of matched.  I even scored a waterproof twin mattress protector for $2...in the package otherwise gross.  Total cost of everything $4.58  Sweet deal.  I've been wanting to use reusable bags at the stores but when I restrict myself to two grocery runs a month I would need 15-20 bags.  Running between $1-2 a piece at the store, I find that kinda silly.  But, I've been making a real effort to "go green" and I'm honestly tired of trying to jam all the plastic grocery bags under my cabinet until I remember to take them to the recycling.  Soooo....I googled and found a blog on how to make my own bags, out of recycled material...sheets!  It took me an hour and half total to do the two bags...but I was also baking brownies to send off, and watching the littles, so it was a stop and start project.  It was amazingly easy once I got the first one done I saw the short cuts I should of used the first round...so the second bag took maybe 20 mins.  Total cost per bag...$.25 since I had the thread and I just used the edge of the pillow case as my handles.  I think I'm stopping at two today, my eyes hurt and the littles are getting restless, but only 13 more bags to go :) 

4 comments:

  1. Here's the blog w instructions if you're interested:
    http://wisdomofthemoon.blogspot.com/2008/01/cheap-easy-fabric-grocery-bags.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't sure what to expect but those are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, Those are sooooo cute! You are so creative! Do you want JOB? I am serious! I need someone to help out with ideas and creative backgrounds. You have already helped me once. Think about it! You are so gifted! Enjoy making your bags. You might consider selling them. Cute Cute! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...good idea. I was thinking I needed to buy some reusable bags. Maybe easier to make?

    ReplyDelete